For some of us, hitting the gym every day is not our cup of tea, but there is good news! It turns out that taking the time to simply walk every day has some real tried and true benefits. However, as most of us are stuck in an office chair for most of the day, many of us are not doing enough of it. So, here are 5 Reasons you should make sure you make a conscious effort to take a daily walk:
1. Improves Balance and Coordination: because many of us remain seated for a large part of our day (i.e. – sleep at night, sit at work, and come to a couch for our evening HGTV fix), it’s important to remember that staying active helps you maintain healthy muscles, balance, and coordination. Our bodies are meant to be in a constant state of movement and keeping them moving is key to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
2. Improves Your Mood & Mental Attitude: You may have heard the idiom thrown around – “Take a Walk!” but it’s a little-known fact that taking a walk can give you a real mental boost. One Stanford University Study found that walking can help increase creativity by roughly 60%. While there are many factors as to why walking helps boost your mood and mental fortitude, walking is an activity that offers your mind a break from all the constant content we throw at it throughout the day. So next time you take a walk, try unplugging and see what it does!
3. You Can Lose Weight: For those that experience pain from high impact exercises, walking is great! Keep in mind - it’s important to maintain form and technique: Keep your head up, look forward, and relax your neck, shoulders, and back. A little pumping action to your arms is good, but keep your arms swinging freely. Tighten your stomach muscles to keep your back straight and maintain a smooth heel-to-toe stride. This aerobic activity can help you lose some inches on your waistline – give it a try!
4. Immune System Boost: How does reducing your number of yearly colds sound? Studies have shown that walking 30-minutes a day helps support your immune system, which fights infectious bacteria! Want to take it to the next level? Some experts say that taking a walk in the woods exposes you to phytoncides, which is produced by plants to help prevent rot, but also just so happens to provide you with an immune system boost for up to 30-days! Some call this “Forest Bathing” or “Forest Therapy” – either way it’s a good excuse to get out and enjoy the great outdoors!
5. Better Sleep: not only does walking help reduce the form of heart attack, stroke, and diabetes, but it also helps you get a better night’s sleep! Studies have shown that walking, over other sessions of vigorous aerobic exercise (i.e. – running), helps improve sleep the most.
How long to walk will depend on your goals and objectives, but the most important thing is to make a habit of it!
Do you have a difficult time walking due to chronic foot pain? Perhaps you’ve been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis? Try out The X Brace for 30 days risk-free! Specifically designed to help keep your plantar fascia ligament from flexing, The X Brace is made to give you the support where you need it the most.
If you experience severe pain or persistent limited mobility, please seek professional medical attention.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.